Yikes, this is a little late! I started this post in the fall, and I forgot about it! I’ve noticed the price of zucchini begin to drop again, so you may be able to try this one out! Without further ado, here is the original post:
I love squash. You can do just about anything with it and it will always be amazing, cheap, and healthy. My favorite way to prepare squash: in the oven. As you will eventually notice, I really like to cut things up and put them on a cookie sheet. Also, I use two standard temperatures: 375 degrees and 425 degrees–unless of course I am baking, for which it is only 350.
Last night I made yellow squash, but my favorite is zucchini. This time of year, it can be found at many grocery stores for $0.80 for a pound. I will buy about six squash and it makes a huge batch.
Cassie’s Favorite Roasted Squash
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
Squash Variety (as much or as little as you want, and any kind will work!), sliced
1/2 cup sliced or diced onion* (optional)
Any of your favorite seasonings (I use garlic salt and basil or a salt-free spice blend.)
1. Slice squash into 1/2″ pieces.
2. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and arrange squash in a single layer on the cookie sheet.
3. Sprinkle your favorite seasonings over the top of the squash.
4. Place in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until squash begins to brown a bit on the bottom (you might have to check)
5. Remove from oven and enjoy!
*Walla Walla Sweet onions are delicious in this recipe. However, they do tend to be a bit more expensive than the regular yellow variety. Buy these in season to benefit from the lowest prices.